Thursday, January 25, 2007

Kimberly and More Cinemark

This is Kimberly Gleason. She sat down at my table at Starbuck's today and said hello. I said hello back and she thanked me for helping her. I had no idea what she was referring to until she mentioned she was a student in the Mayor's Art Summer Institute that I initiated in my first year as Mayor back in 1998. She auditioned and was accepted to the program as a musician in 1999. She then attended UNM where she majored in Theater. She now works in the arts for a program that helps people with disabilities use their creative skills. It is nice to know she is using her talents to help them achieve greater things. Kimberly is also an actress and I am hopeful she can get some gigs with the vibrant film industry here in the State. She said however that it was great to have a full time job. I often run into a lot of these kids who went through that program. They all said it was one of the best experiences of their lives. It is the kind of thing that really is a good investment of public resources.

I got a nice note from a representative of Cinemark today. She had seen my blog yesterday after being notified by Google that I had used their name. She apologized and said she would look into things at their newly acquired theaters here in Albuquerque. Mainly, as a popcorn fanatic, I hope she gets the quality of their seven dollar popcorn back up to the premium levels that existed under Century Theaters. How hard could that be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary! Google notified the movie chain? Hello, Big Brother.

Jim Baca said...

You can set up Google search criteria to track any name or subject on a regular basis. It searchs the internet and then sends you an email with a link when those items appear on the internet. Since my blog is on the public internet Google or Cinemark did not do anything unethical. At the same time we probably should realize that privacy is a thing of the past. Government and business have access to information about you no matter what you do. We may not like it, but it is true.